Sunday, January 22, 2012

My Top 10 Tips for Frugal Living: #4 Know Coupon Policies

As I continue my Top 10 Tips for Frugal Living, my list so far:
# 10 Know the Prices here
# 9 Be Organized here
# 8 Network here
# 7 Rebate here
# 6 Menu Planning here
# 5 Be Patient! here
#4 Know the store's coupon policies
I have found this tip to be VERY important in saving money. Different stores have different policies, and it is so beneficial to be aware of them. For instance, Kroger has recently changed their policy. Meijer will only double two or six, depending upon which store you shop. So, if I'm headed to Meijer, I know I have to limit my identical coupons to double to what they accept, or they won't double.
I have found it very helpful to have in the back of my binder the various store's policies. I currently have Meijer, CVS, Target, and Walmart w/me at all times. What's amazing to me is that sometimes the employees don't know their own store's policy. I have to tell them. For example, I was at Walgreens  and bought 20 of the gummies that were on sale for $.39 each. I had 10 $.55/2 cpns printed from the Black Forest web site. A new cashier looked at them and asked, "Can I take these coupons?". To which I politely replied, "Yes, you can!". So, they all scanned perfectly fine, and I was on my way.
I also know that we have ALL had our frustrating moments when our coupons are rejected or limited. So, to avoid this, carry policies w/you and be ready to POLITELY inform the employee of what their particular store's policy is.


No comments: