Sunday, October 3, 2010

Rebates..Are they Worth the Effort??

Rebating has changed a lot over the years. I remember about 15 - 20 years ago that it was a lot easier to rebate. Stores had forms readily available on a tearpad. I remember going to a drugstore and basically buying only items that had rebates...and getting a lot of stuff. I also remember saving every UPC in a big box to use as rebates. Unfortunately, those days are over. It's not as easy to be a rebater as it used to. But, it's still possible!!!
I can still get a lot of money back in rebates, but I have found it requires more effort on my part. For example, recently my husband bought us a new coffeepot (I was out of town and our old one broke). Anyway, when I got home I thought I would check "just to see" if there was a rebate for the one he had bought. So, I "googled" the brand and sure enough, I was able to print a form for $10 back!! How's that for a quick $10?? I have found that it's not so much that manufacturers are not offering rebates, it's more that they are not advertising them as much. But that doesn't have to hinder you...it's pretty simple to find the info w/a little effort.
One of the best overall resources for rebating still continues to be Refund Cents. It costs $25/year, but it well pays for itself. You not only get access to an online daily blog, but also get a printed monthly magazine. And, if you submit great deals pictures and they are published, you get your subscription extended. (I've had three pics published in the last year). In the magazine are all the current rebates available and how to get them. This is my MAIN source for finding refunds. But, as this is not an advertisement for Refund Cents, I'll add that "googling" an item definitely has its place!!
Another source for finding rebates is in the Sunday inserts. Occassionally they will (in fine print) right next to a coupon, say that there is a Money-back guarantee on the item. Or, they will have a Try-Me-FREE item pictured. I can be that obvious. When I find this, I cut that part of the insert out as well as the coupon, so I remember that there's a rebate as well on the item.
I hoped this has helped someone...rebating is NOT a thing of the past!! I've saved close to $250 this year in rebates alone. Got any suggestions...I'd love to hear them.

No comments: