Friday, December 19, 2008

An Interesting Conversation

When I was standing in line at Meijers, the lady behind me was commenting on my coupon organizer. We had a lot of time to chat, as the line was long and Meijers was slow. She said she could NEVER do all that. I reassured her that it was not a talent, just a desire to save money. She understood once I said I had four kids. Interestingly though, she commented that I was probably buying things we wouldn't eat. Looking at my groceries of frozen veggies, waffles, cereal, and salad dressing, I replied that I don't buy things that we won't eat unless I give it away. It just makes sense!!
She next proceeded to tell the people waiting behind her in the line to look at this lady up here with all these coupons!! And of course, she was very curious as I was being checked out as to my savings. The last thing I heard her say was, "And she bought a coat too for someone!!" I think I floored her, but most importantly I hope I helped her to see that saving is for everyone. It just takes time and organization.
Before I left, the cashier apologized for being so slow. "This is my second day. I hope you have items for all these coupons, because I don't have time to check. I just hope your honest or I could get fired." I looked her right in the eyes and replied, "The Lord would not bless if I tried to do something dishonest."
That must have appeased her.
I left the store hoping that in some way I had influenced two persons for Jesus. Isn't that what we are called to do.

Colossians 3:17 "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."

3 comments:

Little Miss Know it All said...

You absolutely did! In this time of panic and bad news, giving people hope is a HUGE ministry for Christ!!

You know, I actually had someone tell me the other day that they couldn't do what I do because it would drive them nuts to see all that food in their freezer. My husband did a double take and looked at her like she was from another planet. I mean, we'd heard not wanting to because of time or organization, but because having a full freezer freaks you out? That was a new one....Especially since she was a deal queen on everything but groceries!

Julie said...

How can you understand that logic?? Maybe that's the problem..it's not logic at all! Having a freezer full, especially of free or almost free items, is just plain smart to me!!

Liz said...

I think that was a great opportunity to share. I try to always remember that I am witnessing to those around me in stores all the time as well, not only with my actions and attitudes, but with my words and kindness.